The Laurens County Courthouse was built in 1838. It was designed by architect Thomas C. Veal and built by Dr. John Wells Simpson, both residents of Laurens. Laurens County is one of several counties carved out of the Old Ninety-Six District of South Carolina by an act of the General Assembly in 1785. The Courthouse stands on a portion of the four-acre tract that was deeded to the county in 1792 and was the site of two earlier courthouses between 1792 and 1838.
Location: Laurens, South Carolina