Posted in Instagram

James O. Breeden, Buggies, Wagons, & Harnesses building in Bennettsville. In 1916, James succeed his uncles Capt. P. L. Breeden and Mr. W. P. Breeden that started the business in 1866

Posted in Abbeville County Instagram

Philomathean Literary Society Hall, on the Erskine College Quad, was built in 1859

Posted in Instagram

This courthouse was constructed in 1908 and is the fifth courthouse to serve Newberry County

Posted in Instagram

Originally this was the Mayesville Baptist Church and was built in 1878. The church is now being used by another congregation

Posted in Instagram

Enjoying the day at Sesquicentennial State Park

Posted in Instagram

The Knight Brothers Building, also known as the Kolb Building, was built in 1890

Posted in Instagram

The Rankin-Harwell House (aka The Columns) was built in 1857 in the Greek Revival style. Locals dubbed the house “Carolina Hall” for its role in the 1934 film known as Carolina which starred Lionel Barrymore, Janet Gaynor and the new child actress, Shirley Temple

Posted in Instagram

These 4 commercial buildings were built in 1905

Posted in Instagram

The George Summer House was constructed ca. 1910 and is a Classical Revival style home. It was originally built for Mrs. L. C. Hunter later purchased by Summer. Summer owned the Newberry Hotel, the Newberry Bonded Cotton Warehouse Company, Newberry Lumber Company, and helped start the Commercial Bank of Newberry

Posted in Instagram

The town of Mayesville was named for the Mayes family after the Wilmington and Manchester Railroad cut through the Mayes’ property and began as Mayes Station in 1852, replacing an earlier name of Bradleyville. Pictured are a row of stores built 1898-1920