Posted in Instagram

The People’s State Bank/Arthur State Bank was built in 1901

Posted in Instagram Orangeburg County

The Pink Palace. The Orangeburg County Jail was completed in 1860. It was burned by Sherman’s troops in 1865 and then repaired soon after. The county stopped using the jail in 1976

Posted in Instagram

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) designated a gymnasium be built for the Mount Croghan school, and in 1933 the gym, built of local stones, was completed. The building is now used as a wedding venue

Posted in Instagram

The Press and Standard Building was built in 1920. This newspaper combined the Colleton Press with the Colleton Standard in 1890. The combined business occupied this site from 1891 until 2005 (pre-dating the current building

Posted in Instagram

The Jennings-Brown House was constructed c.1826 by Dr. E.W. Jones. Dr. Beaty Jennings purchased it in 1854. It survived the 1865 occupation by Union officer Major General F.P. Blair during the Civil War. Dr. J.J. and Lura G. Brown bought the home in 1930

Posted in Instagram York County

The former York County Hospital was completed in 1940. It was replaced by Piedmont Medical Center in 1983. The hospital was county run and built with the assistance of the WPA

Posted in Instagram

St. Paul UMC in Saint Matthews was founded in 1878. This church was built in 1916. This congregation may have originally been know as Asbury Chapel

Posted in Instagram

The Bennett-Sistare House in Clio was built in 1912 by John L. Bennett, Sr

Posted in Instagram

This brick commercial building was built in 1900. It is part of the Bishopville Commercial Historic District. It appears the original eaves were removed

Posted in Instagram

Dreher Shoals Dam on Lake Murray, a 1.7-mile walking pathway, has seen more and more love locks being placed its fence recently