Posted in Instagram

The NYE 9

Posted in Instagram

St. Michael’s Church was built between 1751-1761 at the corner of Broad and Meeting streets on the site of the original wooden church built in 1681 by St. Philip’s Church (It had been damaged in a hurricane in 1710 and a new St. Philip’s Church was built several blocks away on Church Street

Posted in Instagram

The Angelus School (aka Macedonia-Angelus). The school operated until 1953. The main school burnt down in 2013. The wooden gymnasium was built from wood of 3 schools that were torn down

Posted in Instagram York County

Merry Christmas Eve from Downtown Fort Mill, SC

Posted in Instagram York County

Bethesda Presbyterian Church is a meeting house style church in McConnells that was built in 1820. A mission church is believed to have existed as early as 1760 and Bethesda was formally organized about 1770. It is one of the oldest churches in the South Carolina Upcountry and is also one of the four original Presbyterian churches in the state’s old York District

Posted in Instagram York County

These brick buildings were erected in 1886 by John J. Smith as a 1 story commercial building and expanded to 2 stories in 1906. The building on the left was the home of Smith’s store. The second floor was an opera house and Town Hall, then the 3rd floor as a Masonic Hall. The right building was used as Clover Drug Store, the Bank of Clover, and legal and medical offices on the second floor

Posted in Instagram

On Saturdays, beginning in the late 1920’s, farmers began selling produce from a shed behind the Public Works building on Newberry Street. Farmers’ wives, who were part of the Aiken County Council of Farm Women, organized the Club Market, Sept. 4, 1930. By 1951 both venues were struggling to stay open, so they joined forces. By 1954 the farmers and their families built the 45 tables, which are still used today making this the oldest continuous operation at the same location on SC

Posted in Instagram York County

Vernon Grant was born in Nebraska and grew up in South Dakota. He met his wife Lib Fewell, a Rock Hill native and moved there in 1936. Over seven decades, Grant created hundreds of illustrations for advertising (General Electric, Gillette, Hershey’s, Kellogg’s). He is best known as creator of Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal characters Snap! Crackle! and Pop

Posted in Instagram

The Buffalo Mill Company Drug Store and Bank Building was built in 1902

Posted in Instagram

Organized in 1869, it operated in a former Methodist church. In 1878, the building was in bad condition, so new church was built on the site. This building was built in 1897 and is still used today