Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

Camellia Hall

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

Edgefield Baptist Association Building

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

Johnston Mural – International Peach Exchange

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

Kinard Brother’s Store

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

The Carnoosie House was originally built by M. Lebeschultz in 1860. In 1884, the home was purchased by John Calhoun Sheppard, who would become Governor of South Carolina in 1886. His son, James Orlando Sheppard would become Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina during the 1920s, also lived here until his death. The name “Carnoosie” is reputed to be a Cherokee word for cornfield, but it is unclear why and when the name was first applied to this house

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

Thurmond Place, in Edgefield, was built c.1897. J. Strom Thurmond was born here in 1902. Thurmond graduated from Clemson and initially began his career as a high school teacher. He then served as State Senator, Governor, Army Officer on D-Day (Normandy), and then US Senator

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

Trinity Episcopal Church was built in 1836. It is the oldest church building still standing in the town of Edgefield

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

This building in Edgefield was built about 1894, it was a general store, then a furniture store, and then a hardware store, all before 1920. Today it is the home of Carolina Moon Distillery

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

The old Blacksmith Shop in Edgefield was built in 1917. The shop features live blacksmith demonstrations on Thursday and Saturday, 9a-3p weekly

Posted in Edgefield County Instagram

Previously the People’s Bank, the D A Tompkins Library moves in after the bank failed. Daniel Augustus Tompkins was the Co-Founder of the Charlotte Observer bequeathed funds to start library in Edgefield. It is now the home of the Old Edgefield District Genealogical Society