Posted in Colleton County Instagram

The von Lehe House was built in 1914 by a northern lawyer in 1914. This was the home of John D. von Lehe, a farmer and merchant. Von Lehe was born in Oconee County and moved to Walterboro after purchasing the Rock Spring Plantation in the 1900s

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

This building was built ca 1920s. The building had a glass front on the first floor and but was enclosed in 2016. Tedders Men’s Shop was once located in this building

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

The Bellinger House was built ca.1830 by the Bedon family. The home originally had two tier porches and was replaced with two-story pillars in 1931

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

The Press and Standard Building was built in 1920. This newspaper combined the Colleton Press with the Colleton Standard in 1890. The combined business occupied this site from 1891 until 2005 (pre-dating the current building

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

This was the original store of Alfred Novit when he went into business in 1918. After moving his department store down the street in the 1930s he converted this into “Novit’s Fashion Shoppe,” a high-end emporium for Walterboro women

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

This church on Chaplin Street was built in 1945. It was originally used by the Wesley Methodist Church

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

Originally founded in Jacksonboro in 1728. This summer location of the Bethel Presbyterian Church in Walterboro had a structure here in 1821. That one was replaced in 1860 and was destroyed by a tornado in 1879. It was replaced by another frame church in 1880, which burned in 1966. The present brick sanctuary, the fourth on this site, was built in 1969

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

The former post office building in Walterboro was constructed as part of the new deal. The building, which was completed in 1937, is now privately owned

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

Farmers and Merchants Bank of Walterboro was built in 1902. It is now a Christmas store and bakery

Posted in Colleton County Instagram

The Novit-Siegel Building is a 1890 brick building that began life as Zalin’s Department Store. About 1918, Albert Novit moved to Walterboro and opened his emporium down the street. In the 1930s he moved the operation into this building. Novit’s Department Store became Novit-Siegel when Sam Siegel of Anderson married into the family business