Posted in Instagram Marion County

The Marion Opera House and Town Hall was built in 1892.The first floor originally housed a courtroom, jail, and the fire department. The second floor served public speaking and theatrical productions

Posted in Instagram York County

Rose’s Hotel was built ca. 1852 by Dr. E. A. Crenshaw. It was sold to Columbia hotelier William E. Rose in 1853. Rose’s Hotel was referred to in the Low Country as one of the most palatial hotels in the Upcountry. Rose was president of the King’s Mountain Railroad and owned 7 hotels in Columbia, SC including the Congaree Hotel

Posted in Instagram

The First Baptist Church of Blackville was organized in 1846 under the guidance of their first pastor Reverend Darling Peeples. The first wooden church was used as a dance hall by federal troops during the Civil War. This third sanctuary was dedicated in 1921

Posted in Instagram

The J.L. Coker Company Building was built 1910 for the company founded by Major James Lide Coker in 1865. The J.L. Coker & Company used the slogan “more than a store, an institution.” Major Coker went on to found a bank, several companies including what became known as the global packaging company Sonoco, and the Welsh Neck School which became Coker University

Posted in Instagram

The Whitmire Town Hall was built circa 1923. In 1852, a tavern was built and a post office for the Whitmires was established. In 1890, the Georgia-Carolina and Northern Railroad (GC&N) (later Seaboard Airline Railroad) was constructed through Whitmire resulting in the town’s incorporation in 1891

Posted in Instagram

Civil War Reenactment at the Cross Keys House. No battle actually occurred here, but Jefferson Davis, along with his cabinet and military escort, dined here on their flight from Richmond

Posted in Instagram

The Dr. David B. Frontis Office was here from from 1918 until 1937. The building was built by Dr. Loami J. Smith and sold to Frontis in 1917. Frontis practiced medicine for 47 years. From 1937 until 1945 it housed the Ridge Funeral Home (later known as Cumbee Funeral Home

Posted in Instagram

1108 Russell Street was built in 1910. This building contributes to the Orangeburg Downtown Historic District

Posted in Instagram

The Knight Brothers buildings were built ca. 1890. The store expanded to include two separate structures. The store included these 2 building and the Kolb building

Posted in Instagram

The Bethel A.M.E. Church was established in 1865. A church was built in 1867 in the town of Lewisville (now known as St. Matthews