The Monticello Store and Post Office, also known as the Monticello Mercantile, was built ca. 1820 per a local tradition. Stylistically, the building appears to date from the mid-nineteenth century. It was reportedly owned by the Reverend Jonathan Davis, a prominent minister and state legislator from Fairfield District in the early nineteenth century. According to local tradition the rear portion of the store was used as a dormitory for the Jefferson-Monticello Academy in the 1820s. The building was used as a store and post office after the Civil War until the mid-1960s.
Location: Monticello, South Carolina