Posted in Instagram

The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1850. It was built on land donated earlier by American Revolutionary War General Thomas Sumter and was designed by Edward C. Jones. The church originally began in 1788, when worshipers from the chapel of ease started the first Episcopal church on this site, the Church of Claremont. Buried here is Joel Roberts Poinsett, a botanist, the first US Ambassador to Mexico, member of the US House of Representatives, co-founder of what is known today as the Smithsonian Institution, and the Poinsettia is named for him

Posted in Instagram

This building was built ca. 1900 and was likely built by Gower and Speight, the first advertised owner. The building was occupied by the Acme Fish Company in the 1920s

Posted in Instagram

The Dr. J. W. Allison House was built by Dr. Allison around 1890. Dr. Allison was the first physician in Hickory Grove and operated the first pharmacy in town. The home remained in the Allison family until the 1970’s

Posted in Instagram

Table Rock State Park is located at the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains and was built by the CCC in the 1930’s. The park includes Pinnacle Mountain, the tallest mountain totally within the state

Posted in Instagram

201 and 205 N Main in Bishopville was built in 1910 as a drug store. The building was also previously home to the Dixie Cafe

Posted in Instagram

1209, 1211, & 1213 Main Street in Newberry were built ca. 1880. 1209 – The building has windows masked from the exterior was historically known as the home for Garner’s Shoes. 1211 – The building has elaborate corbelled brick cornice with segmental tin “eyebrows.” The store was the home of Cooper Cuts the Price in the early 1900s. 1213 – The building’s the upper portions of the window sashes have been bricked. The historical survey did not note that this building also have “eyebrows,” but clearly it does. When did eyebrows become an architectural term?

Posted in Instagram

The Catholic Presbyterian Church near Chester features a granite marker commemorating the sixty-two soldiers from the church who fought in the Revolutionary War. Several of those who served died in the fight for independence from the British

Posted in Instagram

The Little River Baptist Church was built in 1845. The church started as Gibson’s Meeting House and was established in 1768. The original meeting house was the site of a Revolutionary War battle and the current building was damaged by Union troops during the Civil War

Posted in Instagram Newberry County

The Folk-Holloway House is a Carolina I-House built in 1835. The house was constructed by the Folk family and came into possession of Thomas Holloway upon his marriage to Martha H. Folk

Posted in Instagram

The Matthew Patrick House was built in 1915. Matthew Patrick was the postmaster at the T. G. Patrick Store in White Oak