Fort Fremont was built 1899-1900 as one of six Endicott forts built in response to the Spanish-American War. The fort was named for Savannah native General Charles C. Fremont (one of four major generals appointed by Abraham Lincoln) and the first presidential candidate of the Republican Party in 1856. The complex at Fort Fremont consisted of almost 170 acres that operated until 1921 and the fort was officially decommissioned in 1930. Fort Fremont is one of only two extant Spanish–American War fortifications which retain their character from that period.
Location: Saint Helena Island, South Carolina