This home was built ca. 1816 by Governor Stephan Miller. It was bought by William Ellison in 1838. Ellison was a freedman known as a U.S. cotton gin maker and blacksmith. Ellison was trained by request of his master (whom is believed to be his father) and purchased his own freedom. By 1850, Ellison owned 386 acres and 32 slaves to work his cotton plantation. Ellison and his son were the only known freedman to own slaves in the Sumter District.
Location: Stateburg, South Carolina