The Oakland Plantation was established in 1735 with a royal grant to William Sanders. That house was either remodeled or replaced with this current home ca. 1816 by Williams Sanders IV. The home was the headquarters for Confederate Maj. Gen. P.M.B. Young until Potter’s Raid, at that time Federal Brig. Gen. Edward E. Potter used the home as a field hospital. In 1950, the home was rename “Dixie Hall” and continued to be owned by the Sanders family until 1981.