The First Baptist Church in St. Matthews was built ca. 1920*. The congregation was found as Lewisville Baptist Church in 1875 in what was then called Lewisville. The name changed to St. Matthews Baptist when the town name changed and then to the First Baptist Church. The original 1875 church was razed in 1913 to build the current building, but is then listed in historical documents as remodeled in 1920 with the current church.
Location: St. Matthews, South Carolina.
Sources: Works Progress Administration Survey of State and Local Historical Records: 1936 – Chruch Records Form https://digital.tcl.sc.edu/digital/collection/hrs/id/3646