The Chancellor Carroll House was built by James Parsons Carroll ca. 1855. Carroll was Chancellor of South Carolina and a noted attorney. The property was purchased from William Gregg, the important textile manufacturer. During the early twentieth century architect Willis Irvin, who designed several noted structures in Aiken, owned the house. Carroll was elected to the South Carolina House of Representatives in 1838. He served in the South Carolina Senate between 1853 and 1854 and was re-elected to that body in 1858. In 1859 he was elected Chancellor of the Court of Equity and remained in that position until 1868, when the office was abolished by the new state constitution.
Location: Aiken, South Carolina