The Darlington News Building was built ca 1870 (possibly ca 1859) and is likely the oldest remaining mercantile building in downtown Darlington. James M. Brown, founded The Southerner in 1859 and may well have built the building for that purpose. Thornton Brown, and founded The Darlington News in 1877 and used this building. An 1881 deed for the property refers to the building as Hammond’s Corner.
Location: Darlington, South Carolina