The Hartzell House was built in 1790 by Gen. Erasmus Powe for his daughter, Elizabeth Powe Ervin, and her family, until 1857. It was sold to Justice Henry McIver. During Gen. Williams T. Sherman’s occupation of Cheraw in March, 1865, this was used as his personal headquarters. The McIver family sold the house to the Rev. and Mrs. J.S. Hartzell in 1902. During the early part of this century, the house was used as a “Yankee Resort” known as “The Pines

The Hartzell House was built in 1790 by Gen. Erasmus Powe for his daughter, Elizabeth Powe Ervin, and her family, until 1857. It was sold to Justice Henry McIver. During Gen. Williams T. Sherman’s occupation of Cheraw in March, 1865, this was used as his personal headquarters. The McIver family sold the house to the Rev. and Mrs. J.S. Hartzell in 1902. During the early part of this century, the house was used as a “Yankee Resort” known as “The Pines

Instagram filter used: Normal

Photo taken at: Cheraw Historic District

View in Instagram ⇒

Author: chris

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.