The area around the Rembert Church in what is now Lee County has a long history with Methodists in the state, with a documented Methodist Society meeting in this area as early as 1785.
Bishop Francis Asbury was one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States and the only Methodist minister that stayed in America after the outbreak of the U.S. Revolutionary War. The ordination of Bishop Francis Asbury was performed by Bishop Thomas Coke, who was the first bishop in the US. During Asbury’s 45 years in the colonies and the newly independent United States, he devoted his life to ministry, traveling on horse and carriage thousands of miles to those living on the frontier.
Bishop Asbury stopped in South Carolina for at least 40 visits as part of the Methodist expansion. This area was in the Santee Circuit which was organized in 1786. Asbury noted in his journal in March of 1797 that he preached at the new Remberts Chapel which James Rembert erected.
James Rembert, a well-to-do planter of French descent, constructed a chapel by 1797 known as Rembert Hall. Rembert Hall was located a few miles from this church. In 1834 Caleb Rembert, James’ son, deeded eight acres for the use of the Methodist Church, just like his father had requested. This clapboard meeting house was erected in 1835.
In 1962, the Rembert Church Congregation relocated and the structure was closed except for special occasions. It is now maintained by the Rembert Church Cemetery Association.