Fort Dorchester is a tabby fort constructed in July 1775. During the American Revolution, Dorchester was a strategic point. The magazine was fortified and the garrison commanded by Capt. Francis Marion. British troops occupied the town in April 1780. They were driven out by cavalry and infantry under Col. Wade Hampton and Gen. Nathanael Greene on December 1, 1781.
Photo taken at: Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site