The Mt. Zion Institute was chartered as an all male college in 1785, yet never operated beyond the preparatory level. During both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, the campus was used as an encampment for opposing forces, a distinction shared with only one other school in the US. The the main building burned in 1866 but was rebuilt as brick. The lone wooden structure is the teacherage, built in 1936. The 183rd and final commencement exercises for graduates of Mt. Zion Institute (formerly College and Collegiate Institute) were held in 1960 for sixty-seven graduates.
Photo taken at: Mount Zion Institute, Winnsboro, South Carolina