The Possum Trot School was built in 1880 and is one of the few remaining one-room schools in South Carolina. Originally located on farmland in the Midway Community just outside Gaffney, it was relocated here in 1992. It was constructed by brothers Jimmy and Tom Pettit and went through 11th grade. The name “Possum Trot” most likely comes from the fact that students reached the school by following an already existing possum trail through the nearby woods.
Photo taken at: The Giant Peach