Tag: nrhp
Author: chris Published Date: June 1, 2020 Leave a Comment on The Hartzell House was built in 1790 by Gen. Erasmus Powe for his daughter, Elizabeth Powe Ervin, and her family, until 1857. It was sold to Justice Henry McIver. During Gen. Williams T. Sherman’s occupation of Cheraw in March, 1865, this was used as his personal headquarters. The McIver family sold the house to the Rev. and Mrs. J.S. Hartzell in 1902. During the early part of this century, the house was used as a “Yankee Resort” known as “The Pines
Author: chris Published Date: May 31, 2020 Leave a Comment on The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1850. It was built on land donated earlier by American Revolutionary War General Thomas Sumter and was designed by Edward C. Jones. The church originally began in 1788, when worshipers from the chapel of ease started the first Episcopal church on this site, the Church of Claremont. Buried here is Joel Roberts Poinsett, a botanist, the first US Ambassador to Mexico, member of the US House of Representatives, co-founder of what is known today as the Smithsonian Institution, and the Poinsettia is named for him
Posted in Instagram
Author: chris Published Date: May 30, 2020 Leave a Comment on Gower and Speight Building – Bull Durham
Author: chris Published Date: May 26, 2020 Leave a Comment on 1209, 1211, & 1213 Main Street in Newberry were built ca. 1880. 1209 – The building has windows masked from the exterior was historically known as the home for Garner’s Shoes. 1211 – The building has elaborate corbelled brick cornice with segmental tin “eyebrows.” The store was the home of Cooper Cuts the Price in the early 1900s. 1213 – The building’s the upper portions of the window sashes have been bricked. The historical survey did not note that this building also have “eyebrows,” but clearly it does. When did eyebrows become an architectural term?
Posted in Instagram
Author: chris Published Date: May 24, 2020 Leave a Comment on The Little River Baptist Church was built in 1845. The church started as Gibson’s Meeting House and was established in 1768. The original meeting house was the site of a Revolutionary War battle and the current building was damaged by Union troops during the Civil War
Posted in Instagram
Author: chris Published Date: May 22, 2020 Leave a Comment on The Matthew Patrick House was built in 1915. Matthew Patrick was the postmaster at the T. G. Patrick Store in White Oak
Posted in Instagram
Author: chris Published Date: May 17, 2020 Leave a Comment on The Catholic Presbyterian Church was organized in 1759 and this current structure was built in 1842. A granite marker at the church commemorates the sixty-two soldiers from the church who fought in the Revolutionary War. The church graveyard is one of the most well maintained and organized graveyards I have seen
Posted in Instagram


