Posted in Instagram Newberry County

The Bank of Pomaria was built ca 1911. The bank stood adjacent to Pinner’s Pharmacy and was also managed by Dr. Pinner. The Bank of Pomaria managed to stay open until March 14th, 1930, when the Depression forced its closure

Posted in Instagram

The waterfall at the Peachtree Rock Heritage Preserve is the only naturally occurring waterfall in the South Carolina coastal plain

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The Hartzell House was built in 1790 by Gen. Erasmus Powe for his daughter, Elizabeth Powe Ervin, and her family, until 1857. It was sold to Justice Henry McIver. During Gen. Williams T. Sherman’s occupation of Cheraw in March, 1865, this was used as his personal headquarters. The McIver family sold the house to the Rev. and Mrs. J.S. Hartzell in 1902. During the early part of this century, the house was used as a “Yankee Resort” known as “The Pines

Posted in Instagram

The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1850. It was built on land donated earlier by American Revolutionary War General Thomas Sumter and was designed by Edward C. Jones. The church originally began in 1788, when worshipers from the chapel of ease started the first Episcopal church on this site, the Church of Claremont. Buried here is Joel Roberts Poinsett, a botanist, the first US Ambassador to Mexico, member of the US House of Representatives, co-founder of what is known today as the Smithsonian Institution, and the Poinsettia is named for him

Posted in Instagram Laurens County

Gower and Speight Building – Bull Durham

Posted in Instagram

The Dr. J. W. Allison House was built by Dr. Allison around 1890. Dr. Allison was the first physician in Hickory Grove and operated the first pharmacy in town. The home remained in the Allison family until the 1970’s

Posted in Instagram

Table Rock State Park is located at the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains and was built by the CCC in the 1930’s. The park includes Pinnacle Mountain, the tallest mountain totally within the state

Posted in Instagram

201 and 205 N Main in Bishopville was built in 1910 as a drug store. The building was also previously home to the Dixie Cafe

Posted in Instagram

1209, 1211, & 1213 Main Street in Newberry were built ca. 1880. 1209 – The building has windows masked from the exterior was historically known as the home for Garner’s Shoes. 1211 – The building has elaborate corbelled brick cornice with segmental tin “eyebrows.” The store was the home of Cooper Cuts the Price in the early 1900s. 1213 – The building’s the upper portions of the window sashes have been bricked. The historical survey did not note that this building also have “eyebrows,” but clearly it does. When did eyebrows become an architectural term?

Posted in Instagram

The Catholic Presbyterian Church near Chester features a granite marker commemorating the sixty-two soldiers from the church who fought in the Revolutionary War. Several of those who served died in the fight for independence from the British