Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

Chesterfield Town Hall

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

Jefferson United Methodist Church

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The Hartzell House was built in 1790 by Gen. Erasmus Powe for his daughter, Elizabeth Powe Ervin, and her family, until 1857. It was sold to Justice Henry McIver. During Gen. Williams T. Sherman’s occupation of Cheraw in March, 1865, this was used as his personal headquarters. The McIver family sold the house to the Rev. and Mrs. J.S. Hartzell in 1902. During the early part of this century, the house was used as a “Yankee Resort” known as “The Pines

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The Bank of Chesterfield Building was built in 1908. The Bank of Chesterfield was chartered in 1903 by W. I. Blakely, T. M. Mangum, W. R. Craig, and E. N. Redfearn. The Bank of Chesterfield would merge with First Citizens Bank

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The John Craig House was built 1795-1798 by John Craig. Craig was a veteran of the American Revolution. This home was used by Union General William T. Sherman as his personal headquarters during the Civil War

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The Chesterfield County Jail was built in 1884. This building originally served as the residence of the Sheriff and as an incarcerative facility

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The Lyric Theatre was open in 1920 by Dr. James Ladd, a local pharmacist. The theatre has changed names through the years, Cheraw Theatre, Cheraw Cinema and then it was restored as the Theatre On The Green

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The Lafayette House (McKay House) is an Adam style home built in 1823 by Dr. William Ellerbe. This home was the site of a public reception for the Revolutionary War hero General Marquis de Lafayette on his return visit to the United States in 1825

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The First United Methodist Church of Cheraw was organized in 1822, but founded in 1832 when the first sanctuary was built. This replacement sanctuary was built in 1960⁠

Posted in Chesterfield County Instagram

The Chesterfield County Courthouse was built in 1884 to replaced the courthouse believed to be burned by Sherman’s troops in 1865. The front porch and rear addition was added in 1935 as a WPA project. The building stopped being used as a courthouse in 1978