Posted in Instagram

The Indiantown Presbyterian Church was established in 1757. That first church was burned in the Battle of King’s Tree on August 27, 1780, Major Wemyss burned the church. This current church was built in 1830 and remodeled in 1919

Posted in Instagram

The Providence Presbyterian Church was organized and built in 1842 as the results of the merger of the Providence and New Harmony Presbyterian church that were both in the Lowndesville area. The church was remodeled in 1886 adding the campanile and removing the slave gallery

Posted in Instagram

The Mt. Joy Baptist Church in Kelton (Jonesville) was organized in 1876. This building was erected in 1924. This church was mainly organized through the ministerial labors of Elder T. J. Taylor and constituted November 30th, 1876

Posted in Instagram

The Pinopolis Methodist Church was built in 1900. The first mention of this congregation was in 1887, it was likely established around that time. The church was built with long leaf pine at a cost of about $600-700

Posted in Instagram

The Robertville Baptist Church was established ca. 1781 as the Black Swamp Baptist Church. The congregation moved to this location in 1824 and built a church here that was burned by Union troops at the end of the Civil War. This building was originally the Ascension Episcopal Church of Gillisonville, built ca. 1847. In 1867, it was purchased from Ascension and moved to its present location

Posted in Instagram Newberry County

The church known as Hentz Street Church or the Old Methodist Church in Pomaria was the Graham Methodist Church. The church was abandoned in 1968 due to changes in church theology. It is believed to have been built in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s. Very little information is known about this church or the congregration

Posted in Instagram

The First Baptist Church of Blackville was organized in 1846 under the guidance of their first pastor Reverend Darling Peeples. The first wooden church was used as a dance hall by federal troops during the Civil War. This third sanctuary was dedicated in 1921

Posted in Instagram

The Bethel A.M.E. Church was established in 1865. A church was built in 1867 in the town of Lewisville (now known as St. Matthews

Posted in Instagram

The St. Simon’s Episcopal Church in Peak was established in 1889 and the building was built in 1900. It is also believed that the attached structure served as a school for black students during the early 1900s

Posted in Instagram

Epworth United Methodist Church in Joanna was established in 1911. The current sanctuary was dedicated in 1940