Recent Posts

Posted in Instagram

Ruby Presbyterian Church was founded and built in 1902

Posted in Instagram

This house was build ca. 1906. It was owned A.R. McElhaney and sold the the Mills family in 1932, whom owned the Mills-Mack house next door. The home is still owned by the Mack family trust. Local lore says the house is haunted by Mr. Mills and likes to sample the bakery items

Posted in Instagram

Goodwill Parochial School is a ca. 1890 building. The school was established during Reconstruction. It was one of the “most active” black parochial schools sponsored by the Presbyterian Church in SC with 350 students

Posted in Instagram

This hotel opened in 1903 as “The Eureka” with 30 rooms and 1 public bath. The hotel closed in 1970, then was restored and reopened in 1984 with 25 rooms

Posted in Instagram

This was the original store of Alfred Novit when he went into business in 1918. After moving his department store down the street in the 1930s he converted this into “Novit’s Fashion Shoppe,” a high-end emporium for Walterboro women

Posted in Instagram

The U.S. Mail Railway Post Office (RPO) was introduced in 1862. The first mail to travel by rail is believed to have occurred in 1831 on the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company (becoming Southern Railway). This car likely traveled that same original route at times during its use

Posted in Instagram

This opera house in Sumter, which doubles as city hall, was built between 1893 and 1895. It is the second opera house to stand on this site, the first was lost to fire in 1892

Posted in Instagram

Trinity Episcopal Church was built in 1836. It is the oldest church building still standing in the town of Edgefield

Posted in Instagram

This brick commercial building was built in 1910. A law firm was on the second floor for many years. It is located on Limestone Street and is part of the Gaffney Commercial Historic District

Posted in Instagram

This restaurant in Belton was Frierson’s Drug Store from 1909-1949. It was then sold and operated as Mac’s Drug Store